Slow Speed Stability Systems for most other touring models. Handle the big bikes without losing that motorcycle feel that got you started in the first place.
Do you have a hard time handling your big bike at slow speed?
Are you hesitating because you love the feel of carving corners?
Do you wish there was an alternative to the expense of a trike?
For about half the cost of most full trike conversions, we offer the best of both worlds. Ghost Wheels offers slow speed stability and high-speed maneuverability. From secure to carving corners instantly!
Trike Alternatives manufactures Ghost Wheels for Harley Davidson FLH, FLT &
FLS, FXS Softail models.
- Flip the switch up - the hydraulic cylinders unlock the wheels to provide a two-wheel ride.
- Flip the switch down - the cylinders lock to provide the stability of a trike.
- Activation of the system is not possible above approximately 18 mph to avoid accidental Trike mode. Most riders don’t want to take a trike fast into the corners!
- The system weighs about 80 lbs, and is approximately 55” wide, depending on the bike. The wheels are high speed trailer wheels 4.80-8 available at just about any trailer parts store.
- The system uses existing connection points, no frame modifications and a few cosmetic changes (sidecover, heat shield and maybe a few holes for wiring).
- Wheels line up with rear axle to avoid the problems with ruts and speed bumps the bolt on trike kits have.
- The system has a visible and audible warning if the switch is inadvertently toggled while going too fast (above approximately 18 mph), but will not lock the wheels.
- The hydraulic system allows the fluid to flow when unlocked. When locked the cylinders keep the wheels rigid. The cylinders and valves are 3500 lbs rated.
- We powder coat the mounting plate and pivot arm gloss black and the rest is painted to match your bike, price includes one color. If your bike is custom painted call us for a quote.
- Our Ghost Wheels product fit most Harley Davidson FLH, FLT & FLS, FXS Softail models. Please call to verify your bike year and model.
Base price for Ghost Wheels $5,495.00
Includes single Color-Matched paint (except custom colors)
Shipping via UPS $150.00
Ships pre-assembled in 2 boxes weighing approx. 40 lbs each
Optional LED Dimmer $52.00 - Allows the brightness of the LED's to be turned down for night riding.
Pin striping and two-tone fenders CALL(763) 441-2745
Prices must be quoted.
Black Powder coat with unpainted fenders and cylinders. -$200.00
We use gloss black powder coat, and customer can paint their own fender and cylinders.
NOTE: All specifications and other information are subject to change without notice.
Ghost Wheels FAQs
Does Ghost Wheels change the way my bike handles?
Yes and no. Yes, when the wheels are locked, your bike will handle like a trike - you have to steer or move the handlebars in the direction you want to go. We call this Trike mode. No, when the wheels are unlocked, it will handle the way you are used to, leaning to turn, counter steering, etc. We call this Bike mode.
Does Ghost Wheels work automatically?
No, everyone rides differently. The rider controls Ghost Wheels. You may not want to lock the wheels at every stop. You cannot lock the wheels when you are traveling above approximately 18 mph.
How does Ghost Wheels work on a road that has an angle to it?
It depends on if the road changes. Ghost Wheels will lock wherever you are. Once locked if the road angle changes, the bike will lean, but the Ghost Wheels is very strong - you just have to learn to trust it and get used to the transition. In other words you do have to learn the skill. If the angle changes too much, you can stop and use the momentary switch to re-level the bike. Once you get used to the system you’ll be able to drive out of it.
What happens when you unlock the wheels on an uneven surface?
First of all, never unlock the wheels in a turn. Always be moving in a straight line when unlocking the wheels. An uneven surface is not a problem to the system. If the road changes quite a bit you have two ways to deal with it; 1) Put your feet down at a stop and unlock the wheels before moving on. 2) Ride with the wheels locked until the road levels out enough to unlock them safely.
What happens if I accidentally put the switch down while I am riding? Will they lock?
No, they will not lock. An alarm will sound and the red light will begin to flash, warning the rider that the switch is in the wrong position. Then simply flip the switch back to the position and the alarm will stop and the lights will return to green only. Ghost Wheels will only lock under approximately 18 mph.
Is it hard to get accustomed to?
With a little practice and understanding of the system most riders are comfortable with the transition between Trike mode and Bike mode in very little time.
Does Ghost Wheels interfere with changing the rear tire?
It shouldn’t. We put the control box in the trunk, and the wheels can be raised out of the way. On bikes with no trunk we put the control box in the saddlebag on the side with the axle nut so the axle can be removed without disturbing the Ghost Wheel components.
Does Trike Alternatives accept credit cards?
Yes, we accept most credit cards. Call to check.
How long does it take for delivery?
Normally 1-2 weeks depending on our work load.
Is Ghost Wheels patented?
How is Ghost Wheels different from Retract-A-Trike and why is there a difference?
Retract-A-Trike raise and lower where Ghost Wheels stay on the ground. Both Retract-A-Trike and Ghost Wheels are designed as slow speed stabilization systems. The wheels are not designed to carry weight. Retract- A-Trike goes down a fixed amount, the onboard suspension adjustment of the Goldwing allows the driver to adjust for different loads. The Ghost Wheels lock wherever the bike sits so there is no need to make any adjustments for different loads. Retract-A-Trike will only work on Goldwings, Ghost Wheels will work on just about anything.